Did you know there are multiple options for achieving your dream nose? When you visit us to explore rhinoplasty (nose job) surgery for aesthetic or medical reasons, we determine whether it’s best to use an open or closed technique. While each method has its benefits, your procedure and results can vary depending on our surgical approach.
With this in mind, let’s take a closer look at open vs closed rhinoplasty to help you understand why your surgeon may recommend one over the other to best suit your unique rhinoplasty goals.
What Is Open Rhinoplasty?
Open rhinoplasty involves making tiny incisions on the strip of tissue between your nostrils, referred to as the columella. The skin is then lifted so the desired revisions can be made. This approach is more complex and usually leaves behind a thin and barely visible scar on the underside of your nose that fades over time.
Other key aspects of open rhinoplasty include:
- The surgeon has better visibility and access to the tip and back of the nose.
- It’s the preferred approach for revision rhinoplasty and other complex needs.
- Recovery is slightly longer and has the potential for more swelling and bruising.
- It is usually more challenging than closed rhinoplasty.
What Is Closed Rhinoplasty?
Closed rhinoplasty is a technique that uses small incisions hidden inside the nostrils. Many patients prefer this approach because it is less invasive than open rhinoplasty and leaves an undetectable scar. Keep in mind that this approach works best for patients who do not require complex revision or significant changes.
A closed rhinoplasty also differs from open rhinoplasty because:
- Recovery is usually shorter.
- There is no visible scarring.
- There is less surgical access to the entire nasal structure.
- It’s not suitable for revision rhinoplasty.
Which Rhinoplasty Approach Should I Choose?
Both techniques have similarly excellent patient outcomes and satisfaction. Our best advice is for you to leave this decision to us! Rest assured that we have extensive experience in both open and closed rhinoplasty techniques, and we will recommend the best surgical approach for your needs. We always assess your concerns and goals, including whether you want to reshape your nose to achieve better facial harmony or if your primary concern is to address a medical issue such as a deviated septum.
Other factors we explore during your nose job consultation include:
- The natural shape of your nose
- The prominence of your nose in relation to other facial features
- The severity of defects in the nose
- Whether chin augmentation or another procedure would better balance your features
- How long you can set aside for your recovery window
Choosing an Experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon
When you trust highly credentialed, board-certified facial plastic surgeons to perform your rhinoplasty, you can rest assured that they will choose the surgical approach that best aligns with your safety and desired results. For further peace of mind, we recommend viewing rhinoplasty before-and-after photos featuring actual patient results.
Are you ready to improve your appearance and self-esteem by exploring rhinoplasty surgery? We encourage you to request a consultation online with one of our highly qualified plastic surgeons or call our office at (980) 949-6544.